November 2nd 2009 - February 28th 2010

“No day will ever erase you from the memory of time”

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vbac or not to Vbac

This entire pregnancy all I have thought about is my Vbac. I would finally get to have this baby vaginally and not via c-section. I was disappointed that I had to have a c-section the first time but because I never got past 2.5 cm I really didn't have a choice. Today I finally met with an OGBYN who is pro VBAC and has had a very good success rate with other women who have also had VBAC's. Unfortunately I did not get the news I was hoping for.

After reveiwing my file she told me that I was not a good canidate for a VBAC. Some of the reasons being that the doctor that performed my first c-section didn't sew me up in layers (which I didn't know there was a difference)which put me at a higher risk of uterine rupture. She is worried because I had a big baby the first time and that I had a failure to progress with the first induction. The last factor was that my son died 4 months after the first c-section. Crushed is not the word I would describe when I left that appointment. She said I could choose to still have the VBAC but I would have to sign a consent form that would not make her liable if something were to go wrong. I still need to talk it over with Tim, and figure out what I want to do. I have done some internet research since getting home and the risk is 1 in 200 that I could have a uterine rupture. Looking at those statistics are not very comforting, especially since I just found out that what Jackson died of was a 1 in 300,000 chance. I feel like statistics are not in my favour right now.

We want to have more children and the doctor told me that she has done 5 c-sections on one women. I just want my baby to be safe but I don't want to feel like I am being scared into a decision. Which is easy when you start talking about things going wrong and possible losing my baby, my uterus or even me. My heart is sad, but I just want to do what is right and what is safe for me and the baby. I guess I have the decision already, I just don't want to say it out loud.


  1. Are you going to write to the doctor who sewed you up the first time? That seems unfair.

    How does your first baby dying after the first birth have anything to do with this decision? What am I missing?

    I think it is great that she is giving you the option to sign the liability sheet. Insurance and litigation influence all of a doctor's decisions more than anything these days. They would even make you sign a liability waiver if you chose to sleep with your baby in your recovery bed at the hospital.

    I support you in whatever you decide. I'm a little angry for you at the first doctor. If you do go for a vaginal, I would refuse an induction. If it came to an induction or a cesarean, I think then I would choose the cesarean if it were me. What is the statistic for uterine rupture for women who haven't had a vbac?

  2. I am not sure of the circumstances surrounding your first c section, I would encourage you to do some more research and also check with a few other practioners. I had and emergency c section after my first twin delivered vaginally but then I placenta ruptured and it was the only way to save me and the 2nd baby. But two years later (to the day) and with the same doctor I had a sucessful VBAC. My mother had 4 c sections though and all where fine. Just trust your motherly instincts. You will know what is right for you. And don't let someone change your mind. Had I listened to mine I would have scheduled a c section for my twins.